Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Fall in a Bowl

Cooking Light's Two-Bean Soup with Kale will be a hearty addition to my soup repertoire. I did modify it a bit (I'll explain in the recipe)... so for the original recipe, you can go to their site.

Menu:
Two-Bean Soup with Kale
Tomato Cheese Toasts


Two-Bean Soup with Kale


3tbs olive oil
1 c chopped onion
1/2 c chopped carrot
1/2 c chopped celery
1/2 tsp salt
2 cloves garlic, minced
8* cups organic veggie broth
1 bunch stemmed, chopped kale
2 (15oz) cans cannellini beans, rinsed, drained
1 (15 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped


Heat a large dutch oven (I really put my two dutch ovens through their paces this week) over medium hi heat. Add oil to pan, swirl to coat. Add onion, carrot, celery and saute 6 mins, or until tender. Stir in salt and garlic. Stir in veggie broth and kale. (This is where I realized that CL's recipe called for only 7 cups of kale- or about a bunch. Mine must have been a very healthy bunch- about 10 cups. Not wanting to deal with leftover kale, I added it all. So then I had to almost double the amt of broth... so just follow my recipe- it makes more and you'll have no leftover greens.) Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to simmer for 3 mins or until kale is "crisp-tender."Add beans and black pepper to soup. Bring to a boil again, reduce heat and stir in vinegar and rosemary.


Tomato Cheese Toasts
4 slices bread (I used multigrain french loaves... CL uses ciabatta)
1 tomato, sliced
4 tbsp parmesan reggiano cheese


Broil bread for 1 minute. Flip over. Add tomato slices and top with 1 tbsp cheese. Broil until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment